The holiday season is one of the most enjoyable times of the year, yet it can also be the most stressful time of the year for some of us. There is not much time left to relax and actually enjoy the holiday season after shopping, sending out greeting cards, decorating, and everything else involved! Being a parent to younger kids made me realize that I want to be able to focus on enjoying this time with them rather then focusing on every task that needs to be completed before we celebrate Christmas. Here are a few tips that have helped keep me stress free during this season.
- Get your shopping done early if possible. If you are shopping later in the season, consider shopping online in order to avoid the busy crowds. Also, be sure to make a list for shopping to help keep your shopping organized which will help you shop more efficiently.
- If you have any baking to do, bake ahead of time and freeze cookies. This way you will not have to worry about baking closer to any holiday parties you are planning on hosting or attending.
- Make time for yourself. It’s easy to forget about taking time for yourself while you are busy focusing on planning during the holiday season and trying to make sure that your little ones are happy during this time. Of course you will want to make memories with your family during the season, but it is okay to take some time for yourself too! A few ways you can do this is by going to a yoga class, taking a book to Starbucks, or just taking an hour or two at night to watch your favorite holiday movie!
- Try not to over-commit yourself. It’s okay if you have to say you cannot attend a party or holiday event if you already have a booked schedule. There is always next year!
- Always remember what is most important during the season. It’s easy to forget the real meaning behind the holidays when we are focusing on all of the small details. Making memories with family and loved ones during this time is more important than anything else during the season.
If you get overwhelmed during the season, take a step back and remember these tips. Try to make the most out of your holiday season with your family. You and your family will always be able to hold on to your special memories from the holiday season!