Warm Red Mulled Wine Sangria
When the weather outside is frightful, warm up with this delicious mixed drink.
Write a review
- One bottle of semi-sweet red wine (Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet, or red blends work well)
- 1/4 - 1/2 C. brandy
- 1/4 C. fresh orange juice
- 3-4 Tbsp. Sugar (or to taste)
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 C. fresh cranberries
- 1-2 fresh cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp. whole cloves
- 4-5 star anise
- Slice the orange and lemon, set aside.
- Toast the whole cloves and star anise in a small pan over medium heat. Don't walk away; it only takes a minute or two! Once you smell a rich, toasty aroma, or the spices begin to "pop," remove from heat. Note: if the spices begin to smoke, you've done more than toast them.
- When the spices are cool enough to handle, press two to three whole cloves into the orange slices. Set aside the star anise.
- In a crockpot, combine the wine, brandy, and sugar. Stir well.
- Add the sliced fruit, cranberries, star anise, and cinnamon sticks.
- Set the crock pot to Low.
- Wait until the drink is fully heated (about 2 hours), then serve in heat-resistant glasses or mugs. Garnish with an orange slice or small cinnamon stick if desired.
- The fresh cranberries, toasted spices, and cinnamon sticks make this warm mulled wine sangria really pop. Using whole spices prevents the final mixture from becoming gritty. Plus, preparing it in a slow cooker allows you to take it anywhere and serve it easily. Enjoy with your favorite holiday meal or just because. Double the recipe for more guests, but keep an eye on portion sizes -- this recipe packs a punch! Image credit: www.vintageroots.co.uk/blog/how-to-serve-mulled-wine/.
Pittsburgh Mom Collective https://pittsburgh.momcollective.com/